My cat has gingivitis. Am I supposed to brush her teeth?

People brush dog’s teeth, right? Do I have to brush my cat’s teeth too?

1 Like

Our vet recommended we use cat food with Oral Care and mix it in with regular dry kibble. I did some research and it seems that it could benefit the cat if you are ready to commit the time http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/am-i-a-bad-pet-owner-if-i-dont-brush-my-cats-teeth

2 Likes

Oral care cat food is one way to go. I also give my cats large chunks of fresh beef or cooked chicken. This way they actually chew the food before swallowing. It works out their jaws, gums, and sort of cleans the teeth too.
I never brushed my cats’ teeth though ))

1 Like

Well the thought is that the gums need hard and large kibble. The meat is soft and can only get stuck between the teeth, causing plaque

I wanted to chime in on the brushing topic. While I’m not a vet, I’ve definitely noticed my Ragdoll breed, Mittens, has much better dental health since I started a gentle brushing routine. It took some time for her to warm up to it, but now she even seems to purr through the process (maybe because it feels like a nice head scratch?). Brushing definitely seems like climbing an uphill battle at first, but it might be worth the effort in the long run to keep your kitty’s smile sparkling! Anyone else out there have experience brushing their Ragdolls’ teeth? Would love to hear any tips or tricks!